Since being consolidated last October, MDL No. 2740 has grown to include more than 1,270 lawsuits filed on behalf of breast cancer survivors who claim they suffered permanent hair loss following chemotherapy with Taxotere (generic: docetaxel).
Free Confidential Lawsuit Evaluation: If you or a loved one suffered permanent hair loss or alopecia from Taxotere, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a suit and our lawyers can help.
What’s the Problem?
July 19, 2017 – There are currently at least 1,272 alopecia lawsuits pending in the U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana before Judge Kurt D. Engelhardt, according to an update issued Monday by the JPML.
Most legal observers believe that MDLs provides plaintiffs, rather than defendants, with an organizational advantage in the litigation. In filing their lawsuits, individual breast cancer patients are taking on a gigantic corporation, as Sanofi is currently the 5th largest pharmaceutical company in the world with revenues in excess of $43 billion per year, according to ProClinical.
Lawsuits are consolidated because they share critical questions of fact in common. In the Taxotere MDL, each lawsuit revolves around the same set of factual allegations:
- Plaintiffs say that Taxotere causes permanent hair loss, “alopecia” or baldness;
- Each plaintiff experienced permanent hair loss, which they believe was caused by Taxotere;
- Plaintiffs claim that Sanofi knew or should have known that Taxotere could cause alopecia;
- Plaintiffs accuse Sanofi of failing to warn breast cancer patients about Taxotere’s link to permanent hair loss, and
- Plaintiffs allege that Sanofi marketed Taxotere as more effective than alternative treatments, even though alternative chemo agents with less severe potential side effects are just as effective as Taxotere.
Bellwether trials in the Taxotere MDL will begin in September 2018, according to the Louisiana Record. These trials are common in large, complex litigation, and often involve lawsuits representative of other pending cases. They are intended to gauge the strength of plaintiffs’ claims, and often provide insight into how juries might react to similar questions of fact.
Do I Have a Taxotere Class Action Lawsuit?
The Class Action Litigation Group at our law firm is an experienced team of trial lawyers that focus on the representation of plaintiffs in Taxotere lawsuits. We are handling individual litigation nationwide and currently accepting new permanent alopecia cases in all 50 states.
Free Case Evaluation: Again, if you lost hair and it never grew back following chemotherapy with Taxotere, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to a settlement by filing a suit and we can help.