What is Revatio?
Revatio is an FDA-approved medication used to treat pulmonary arterial hypertension, a type of high blood pressure that affects arteries in the lungs and in the heart. It is available in generic and brand versions, and as brand-only Viagra for erectile dysfunction (ED).
A study published in JAMA Internal Medicine in June 2014 found that men who used sildenafil (the active ingredient in Revatio and Viagra) to treat ED were 84% more likely to develop melanoma skin cancer compared to men who did not take the medicine. The study’s authors concluded that sildenafil may cause melanoma because the drug affects the same genetic pathways that allow skin cancers to become more aggressive.
Skin Cancer Symptoms
- Mole on the skin that grows, changes shape or turns different colors
- Mole that looks scaly, oozes or starts bleeding
- Dark spot on the skin that looks like a mole, but grows rapidly
- Pain, itch, or bleeding in a newly-formed spot on the skin
- Streak underneath a fingernail or toenail
- Bruise on the foot that does not heal
Revatio Side Effects
In addition to being linked to melanoma skin cancer, Revatio may cause the following serious side effects in some users:
- chest pain
- fast or irregular heartbeat
- memory loss
- numbness of an arm or leg
- one-sided weakness
- ringing in the ears
- severe or persistent dizziness
- severe or persistent vision changes
- sudden decrease or loss of hearing
- sudden decrease or loss of vision in one or both eyes
- severe allergic reactions
What are Revatio Lawsuits Alleging?
According to allegations raised in lawsuits alleging melanoma from sildenafil-containing medications, manufacturers:
- Failed to adequately research the side effects of their products
- Failed to provide sufficient skin cancer warnings for users
- Failed to update warnings after it became clear men were more likely to develop melanoma
- Failed to issue a recall
Do I Have a Revatio Class Action?
The Class Action Litigation Group at our law firm is an experienced team of trial lawyers that focus on the representation of plaintiffs in Revatio lawsuits. We are handling individual litigation nationwide and currently accepting new melanoma skin cancer cases in all 50 states.
Free Case Evaluation: Again, if you got melanoma from Revatio, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to a settlement by filing a lawsuit and we can help.