What’s the Problem?
FDA said the potentially contaminated salads linked to this outbreak are “garden salads” containing iceberg lettuce, red cabbage, and carrots sold under store brand names ALDI Little Salad Bar Brand Garden Salad, Hy-Vee Brand Garden Salad and Jewel-Osco Signature Farms Garden Salad.
On June 20, 2020, Hy-Vee, Inc. recalled the following bagged salads across its 8-state region due to the potential for cyclospora contamination:
- 13.4 OZ Hy-Vee Southwest Chopped Salad Kit – UPC 0-07450-24669
- 8 OZ Hy-Vee Shredded Iceberg – UPC 0-07450-24669
- 12 OZ Hy-Vee Veggie Deluxe Salad – UPC 0-75450-08530
- 12 OZ Hy-Vee Greener Supreme Blend – UPC 0-75450-12046
- 12 OZ Hy-Vee American Blend Salad – UPC 0-75450-12047
- 10 OZ Hy-Vee Italian Blend Salad – UPC 0-75450-12048
- 12 OZ Hy-Vee Coleslaw Mix – UPC 0-75450-12051
- 12 OZ Hy-Vee Romaine Garden Salad – UPC 0-75450-12058
- 13.7 OZ Hy-Vee Asian Chopped Salad Kit – UPC 0-75450-24668
- 13.2 OZ Hy-Vee Sunflower Chopped Salad Kit – UPC 0-75450-24670
- 11.4 OZ Hy-Vee Chipotle Cheddar Chopped Kit – UPC 0-75450-24672
- 12 OZ Hy-Vee Garden Salad – UPC 0-75450-24674
- 12.8 OZ Hy-Vee Avocado Ranch Chopped Kit – UPC 0-75450-24715
There have been at least 76 confirmed cyclospora illnesses linked to the salads in the following U.S. states: Iowa (28), Illinois (23), Kansas (1), Missouri (7), Nebraska (7) and Minnesota (10).
Eating foods contaminated with the parasite cyclospora can lead to an infection of the intestines that causes gastrointestinal symptoms which can last for weeks or even months if untreated, according to the Mayo Clinic. Signs and symptoms of cyclosporiasis, the infection caused by cyclospora bacteria, include:
- body aches
- other flu-like symptoms
This investigation is ongoing and there could be additional retailers and products “impacted by the outbreak,” FDA said.
Do I Have a Hy-Vee Salads Class Action Lawsuit?
The Class Action Litigation Group at our law firm is an experienced team of trial lawyers that focus on the representation of plaintiffs in Hy-Vee salads lawsuits. We are handling individual litigation nationwide and currently accepting new cyclospora infection cases in all 50 states.
If you or a loved one had symptoms of food poisoning after eating a Hy-Vee salad, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to a settlement by filing a suit and we can help.