Our lawyers are filing lawsuits for mechanics who were injured by exposure to benzene, a widely-used chemical in auto body shops and repair facilities that has been linked to cancer and other life-threatening health complications.
Free Confidential Lawsuit Evaluation: If you or a loved one is a mechanic who was injured by benzene exposure, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a suit and our lawyers can help.
Update: Auto Mechanic Files Benzene Cancer Lawsuit in Illinois
May 19, 2017 – An Illinois man who claims he developed multiple myeloma after years of working as an auto mechanic has filed a lawsuit in Cook County Circuit Court. Plaintiff claims he was diagnosed with the disease as a result of prolonged exposure to carcinogens in diesel fuel, parts washer solvent, paint, belt dressings and more.
What’s the Problem?
Many auto body shops and general automotive repair facilities use benzene-containing products, and workers exposed to fumes from these products over a long period of time may be at an increased risk of developing severe health complications. Diseases linked to occupational exposure of benzene include Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML), Myelodysplastic Syndrome (MDS) and Multiple Myeloma.
Symptoms of Benzene Exposure
- Rapid or irregular heartbeat
- Death (at very high levels)
Diseases Linked to Benzene Exposure
- Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML)
- Myelodysplastic Syndrome (MDS)
- Aplastic Anemia
- Multiple Myeloma
- Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL)
- Acute Lymphocytic (or Lymphoblastic) Leukemia (ALL)
- Chronic Myeloid (or Myelogenous) Leukemia (CML)
- Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma (NHL)
- And more
Auto Mechanic Benzene Exposure Studies
- In October 2014, a Pakistani study published in the International Journal of Occupational Medicine and Environmental Health looked at benzene exposure among auto repair workers from workplace ambience. The researchers found that workers in spray painting occupations are highly at risk of benzene exposure. They recommended reduce working hours, encouraging use of self-protective equipments, and adoption of proper hygiene in chemical workplaces.
- A study published in the International Archives of Occupational and Environmental Health in June 1998 found that car mechanics were exposed to atmospheric benzene through: the dismantling of oil filters; handling and washing of hands with petroleum product; windy conditions; cigarette smoking; damaged skin and forearms. The researchers suggested that in order for mechanics to reduce exposure to benzene, individual and collective safety measures should be imposed at the jobsite.
- A 1992 case study reported on a 50-year-old mechanic who suffered recurring nosebleeds, bruises, fatigue and weight loss. Physicians determined these symptoms to be a result of inhalation and dermal exposure to gasoline (which contains benzene) at work.
Benzene Wrongful Death Lawsuit
In August 2016, the family of Curtis Potter filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Goodrich, Dow Chemical and Axiall Corp. According to the suit, Potter was employed in a laboratory while working for Goodrich during the 1960s and 1970s, where he was exposed to carcinogenic chemicals, including benzene. As a result, he developed and died from renal cell carcinoma of his kidney.
The suit accuses the defendants of negligently making, selling and using the chemicals without warning of the dangers. Plaintiffs further allege gross negligence for failing to provide a safe place to work and disclose health hazards.
Do I Have a Benzene Auto Mechanic Class Action Lawsuit?
The Class Action Litigation Group at our law firm is an experienced team of trial lawyers that focus on the representation of plaintiffs in benzene exposure lawsuits. We are handling individual litigation nationwide and currently accepting new injury and death cases in all 50 states.
Free Case Evaluation: Again, if you are an auto mechanic who was injured by the side effects of benzene toxicity, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to a settlement by filing a suit and we can help.