What’s the Problem?
February 15, 2018 – St. Jude issued the defibrillator recall after it was found that a defective battery design that could cause the battery to fail with little or no advance warning, according to the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA).
If a defibrillator battery failure were to occur and the patient was not taken to a hospital immediately, his or her life would be in danger of a severe, potentially fatal cardiac event, FDA said.
Which ICDs Are Being Recalled?
The recall affects the following models of St. Jude implantable cardiac defibrillators (ICDs):
- Fortify VR: Model No(s). CD1231-40, CD1231-40Q
- Fortify ST VR: Model No(s). CD1241-40, CD1241-40Q
- Fortify Assura VR: Model No(s). CD1257-40, CD1257-40Q, CD1357-40C
- Fortify Assura ST VR: Model No(s). CD1263-40, CD1263-40Q, CD1363-40C, CD1363-40Q
- Fortify DR: Model No(s). CD2231-40, CD2231-40Q
- Fortify ST DR: Model No(s). CD2241-40, CD2241-40Q
- Fortify Assura DR: Model No(s). CD2257-40, CD2257-40Q, CD2357-40C, CD2357-40Q
- Fortify Assura ST DR: Model No(s). CD2263-40, CD2363-40C, CD2363-40Q
- Unify: Model No(s). CD3231-40, CD3231-40Q
- Unify Quadra: Model No(s). CD3249-40, CD3249-40Q
- Unify Assura: Model No(s). CD3257-40, CD3357-40C, CD3357-40Q
- Quadra Assura: Model No(s). CD3265-40, CD3265-40Q, CD3365-40C, CD3365-40Q
- Quadra Assura MP: Model No(s). CD3269-40, CD3269-40Q, CD3369-40C
If you received a St. Jude defibrillator and have noticed changes in the battery life of your device, you should contact a sales representative or Abbot Technical Services right away. Healthcare professionals and consumers may report adverse reactions or quality problems they experienced using these devices to MedWatch: The FDA Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program.
Why Our Law Firm Is Filing Individual Lawsuits Opposed To a Class Action
Although we are a nationally recognized class action firm, the Medical Device Litigation Group at our law firm has decided against the filing of a St. Jude defibrillator class action suit, and is currently only filing individual claims on behalf of patients who required emergency replacement or died after receiving St. Jude implantable cardiac defibrillators (ICDs). We chose this course in the best interest of our clients, as a class action suit in this type of litigation can be a detriment to many class members, as they are often forced into a blanket “low ball settlement” and higher attorney fees.
Do I Have a St. Jude Defibrillator Class Action Lawsuit?
The Class Action Litigation Group at our law firm is an experienced team of trial lawyers that focus on the representation of plaintiffs in St. Jude Defibrillator recall lawsuits. We are handling individual litigation nationwide and currently accepting new replacement surgery and death cases in all 50 states.
Free Case Evaluation: Again, if you had replacement surgery after receiving a St. Jude defibrillator, or if a loved one died after being implanted with an ICD, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to a settlement by filing a suit and we can help.