What is Dotatem?
Dotarem is a paramagnetic macrocyclic ionic contrast agent used to improve the results of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) in brain (intracranial), spine and associated tissues in adult and children ages 2 years and older, to detect areas with disruption of the blood brain barrier (BBB) and/or abnormal vascularity. Contrast agents like Dotarem are currently used in about 30% of all MRI scans performed in the U.S., according to Inside Radiology.
Gadolinium Retention and the Conditions it Causes
Leftover gadolinium in the brain and over vital organs for long periods of time can cause two distinct medical phenomenon, one as precursor to the next. They are:
- Gadolinium Storage Condition – Studies have shown that repeated administrations of IV gadolinium contrast leads to T1 shortening in the dentate nuclei, and possibly the globi pallidi 3. Symptoms include (but are not limited to); brain fog, limb pain, renal insufficiency, and headache.
- Gadolinium Deposition Disease – Condition in which patients with normal renal function develop a variety of symptoms including bone pain, skin and subcutaneous tissue burning pain, and various intensities of what is described as “chemo brain” or “brain fog.”
Gadolinium Deposition Disease Symptoms
Though gadolinium deposition disease (GDD) is still a relatively new and rare medical condition, much is still unknown about its causes, symptoms, and prognosis (long-term outlook). In general, however, studies have found that the condition causes a number of serious side effects in patients with normal renal function. These include:
- Bone pain
- Joint pain
- Skin and subcutaneous tissue burning pain
- “Chemo brain” or “brain fog”
- Skin changes
- Thickening / discoloration of the skin
- “Pins and needles” in the arms and legs
Why Our Law Firm Is Filing Individual Lawsuits Opposed To a Class Action
In some instances, a class action may offer some advantages, as they aggregate a large number of individualized claims into one representational lawsuit. The aggregation can increase the efficiency of the legal process, lower the costs of litigation and in some cases offer the solution to a common problem wherein small recoveries do not provide the incentive for any individual or law firm to file an individual lawsuit.
However, a class action suit can also be a detriment to many class members, as they are often forced into a blanket “low ball settlement” and higher attorney fees. At Schmidt & Clark, LLP we understand that our clients are suffering emotionally and economically due to loss of wages and/or high medical bills and we plan to maximize each client’s recovery by filing individual Dotarem lawsuits on their behalf.
Do I Have a Dotarem Class Action Lawsuit?
The Class Action Litigation Group at our law firm is an experienced team of trial lawyers that focus on the representation of plaintiffs in Dotarem lawsuits. We are handling individual litigation nationwide and currently accepting new gadolinium retention injury cases in all 50 states.
Free Case Evaluation: Again, if you or a loved one suffered from the effects of gadolinium retention, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to a settlement by filing a suit and we can help.