Colby cheese products manufactured by Biery Cheese Co. are the latest to be recalled in an ever-widening outbreak of Listeria monocytogenes, a bacterium that causes severe foodborne illness.
Free Confidential Lawsuit Evaluation: If you or a loved one developed symptoms of food poisoning after eating any of the cheese products listed in this article, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a suit and our lawyers can help.
Update: Biery Cheese Recall Expanded to Include Monterey Jack
March 9, 2017 – Biery Cheese Co. announced Wednesday that it is expanding its recall of specialty cheeses over potential listeria contamination, according to the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA). Affected products include:
- Brand – GFS
- Description – Monterey Jack Cheese with Jalapeno Peppers
- Product Size – 1.5 lb
- UPC Code – 0 93901 77758 4
- Sell-By Dates – 7/19/17 and 7/20/17
What’s the problem?
February 17, 2017 – Biery Cheese Co. was notified of the potential contamination by its supplier, Deutsch Kase Haus LLC of Middlebury, Indiana. This recall affects the following products:
- Delallo Premium Sliced Colby Cheese, 8 oz. UPC 0 72368 12452 0, Sell By May/6/2017
- Delallo Premium Sliced Hot Pepper Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 0 72368 12462 9, Sell By May/6/2017
- Dietz & Watson Pasteurized Process New York State Cheddar Cheese with Jalapeno and Cayenne, 8 oz., UPC 0 31506 79412 4, Sell By May/6/2017
- Dietz & Watson Pepper Jack Cheese, 8 oz., UPC 0 31506 79450 6, Sell By May/6/2017
- Private Selections Hardwood Smoked Gouda Slice, 8 oz., UPC 0 11110 60861 1, Sell By 05/06/17
Affected products were packaged at Biery Cheese Company in Louisville, Ohio, and distributed between Nov. 11, 2016 and Jan. 4, 2017 to Georgia, Indiana and Pennsylvania. To date, no illnesses have been reported in connection with the recall.
Listeria Infection Symptoms
The symptoms of listeria food poisoning (listeriosis) include:
- Muscle aches
However, if the infection spreads to the nervous system, symptoms may include:
- Stiff neck
- Loss of balance
Customers who have purchased any of the cheese products listed above are urged to discard them immediately or return to the place of purchase for a full refund.
Lipari Foods and Yoke’s Fresh Market Recall Cheeses for Listeria
February 28, 2017 – Two more brands have joined the massive Listeria recall, because they were repackaged cheese blocks from Deutsch Kase Haus in Wisconsin.
Yoke’s Fresh Market
The retailer sold repackaged cheese from Deutsch Kase Haus in Indiana under its own label in Yoke’s Fresh Market stores in Idaho and Washington state. Products included:
- Colby Jack cheese (16 oz.)
- Colby Longhorn Cheese (16 oz.)
Affected cheeses were sold between Sept. 1, 2016 and Jan. 27, 2017.
Most of the products from Lipari Foods sold under the brands Copperwood and Lipari Old Tyme were large deli blocks, which would have been re-sold to customers sliced and unlabeled. Cheeses sold that way would have included Colby Jack, Pepper Jack, Firecracker Jack, and Swiss varieties.
However, some affected products were packaged for consumers and sold that way:
- Lipari Old Tyme Colby Jack Cheese (8 oz.) with sell by dates of 2/28/17 – 8/14/17
- Lipari Old Tyme Colby Cheese (8 oz.) with sell by dates of 2/28/17 – 8/14/17
- Lipari Old Tyme Pepper Jack Cheese (8 oz.) with sell by dates of 2/28/17 – 8/14/17
- Lipari Old Tyme Hot Pepper Cheese (8 oz.) with sell by date of 6/10/17
- Lipari Old Tyme Muenster Cheese (8 oz.) with sell by date of 6/2/17
More Colby Cheese Recalled in Expanding Listeria Outbreak
February 24, 2017 – Lakeview Cheese and Bashas’ Family of Stores are the latest to issue cheese recalls in an expanding nationwide outbreak of Listeria monocytogenes. This recall consists of 9 Colby cheese products, including fixed-weight and bulk- cut, random-weight items. Affected products were manufactured by Guggisberg Cheese, Inc. and by Deutsch Kase Haus, LLC of Middlebury, Indiana.
Do I Have a Colby Cheese Recall Lawsuit?
The Class Action Litigation Group at our law firm is an experienced team of trial lawyers that focus on the representation of plaintiffs in Colby cheese food poisoning lawsuits. We are handling individual litigation nationwide and currently accepting new listeria infection cases in all 50 states.
Free Case Evaluation: Again, if you got food poisoning from Colby cheese, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to a settlement by filing a suit and we can help.