Update: Cause of Ohio Chipotle Food Poisoning Outbreak Identified
August 17, 2018 – Chipotle said tests confirmed bacterial contamination was the cause of a recent outbreak of food poisoning illness at a Chipotle restaurant in Ohio that sickened hundreds, according to CNBC. The bacteria identified was Clostridium perfringens, a type of bacteria that accumulates when food is left out at unsafe temperatures, tests from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) confirmed. Health staff identified at least 647 people who said they experienced gastrointestinal symptoms after eating at the Chipotle on Sawmill Parkway between July 26 and July 30.
What’s the Problem?
Ventura County Public Health reported that at least 98 customers and 17 employees were sickened on August 18 and 19 after eating at the Chipotle Mexican Grill at 1263 Simi Town Center Way in Simi Valley, CA. After customers reported the illnesses to Chipotle, the restaurant contacted health department officials and closed to clean and bring in new food before re-opening the next day for lunch.
A subsequent inspection cited the restaurant for the following violations:
• Unsanitary premises and/or floors, walls or ceiling
• Equipment and/or utensils are not clean, fully operative and in good condition
• Flying insects were observed inside the restaurant
• Food handlers do not possess a valid food handler card and/or records as required
• Equipment is connected directly to the sewer
Food Poisoning Lawsuits Filed over Chipotle Norovirus Scare in Virginia
August 3, 2017 – Two men from Loudoun County, Virginia, are suing Chipotle for damages they allegedly incurred as a result of eating at the location in Sterling, VA, that was linked to more than 130 reports of illnesses last month. Plaintiffs Kyle Hogan and Patrick Moore are seeking in excess of $74,000 in damages plus attorneys’ fees, in addition to any other relief the court deems fit.
Second Norovirus Case Linked to Chipotle in Virginia
July 25, 2017 – Health officials have confirmed that a second person tested positive for norovirus after eating at a Chipotle in Sterling, Virginia, that was temporarily closed last week following at least 135 reports of illnesses. David Goodfriend, director of the Loudoun County Health Department, who confirmed the second case, stated previously that another diagnosis would be a strong indicator that norovirus was behind most if not all of the illnesses associated with the outbreak.
DOJ to Investigate Chipotle Norovirus Outbreak
January 8, 2016 – The U.S. Justice Department has launched an investigation into a norovirus outbreak that occurred at a Chipotle Mexican Grill in California last summer, according to CNBC. Chipotle disclosed in a Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) filing that the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Central District of California had served the company with a grand jury subpoena last month as part of a criminal investigation by that office and the FDA.
Norovirus is an extremely contagious virus that causes inflammation of the stomach and large intestine lining (gastroenteritis). The condition was originally referred to as the Norwalk virus, after the town of Norwalk, Ohio, the location of the 1st confirmed outbreak in 1972.
Symptoms of norovirus include:
- Abdominal pain/cramps
- Low-grade fever
- Muscle pain
There is currently no specific treatment for norovirus infection, and the illness cannot be treated with an antibiotic because it is a viral (not a bacterial) infection. Recovery typically depends on the health of the patient’s immune system.
If you been diagnosed with norovirus, it’s important to replace lost fluids. If you’re unable to drink enough fluids to prevent dehydration, you may need to be administered fluids intravenously. In most people, norovirus usually resolves within a few days.
Chipotle Restaurant in Virginia Suspected as Source of New Norovirus Outbreak
July 20, 2017 – More than 130 people fell ill after eating at a Chipotle in Sterling, Virginia, the restaurant suspected to be at the center of a recent norovirus outbreak. Chipotle confirmed that it had received a “small number” of food poisoning complaints from customers who ate at the restaurant, and closed the location for 2 days to conduct “a complete sanitazation.”
Chipotle Executives’ Pay Slashed After Food Poisoning Outbreaks
March 15, 2016 – The co-chief executives of Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc., which has struggled with multiple food poisoning outbreaks across the U.S., saw their total compensation cut roughly by half in 2015 from a year earlier and didn’t receive bonuses, according to the Wall Street Journal. Steve Ells’s pay incentives fell 52% from $28.9 million in 2014 to $13.8 million in 2015, while Monty Moran’s total compensation dropped from $28.1 million to $13.6 million. Investors said the decision was the result of tanking stock price and continued health scares.
Do I Have a Chipotle Norovirus Class Action Lawsuit?
The Food Poisoning Litigation Group at our law firm is an experienced team of trial lawyers that focus on the representation of plaintiffs in Chipotle lawsuits. We are handling individual litigation nationwide and currently accepting new norovirus cases in all 50 states.
Free Confidential Case Evaluation: Again, if you got food poisoning from Chipotle, you should contact our law firm immediately. You may be entitled to compensation by filing a class action suit and our lawyers can help.